Police Blotter

Monica Ruiz

Painful meds

August 10, 2011 — 10:08 p.m.

Location: Tom Oxley Athletic Center, Soccer Field

An FAU visitor was watching a soccer game when he began feeling dizzy and weak. Boca Raton Fire Rescue was first to arrive. They discovered the man had taken pain medication on an empty stomach.

He was transported to Boca Raton Regional Hospital.

Lesson learned: Most meds should be taken with food–it’s usually labeled on the bottle.

How was your trip?

August 20, 2011 — 1:20 a.m.

Location: Glades Park Towers

When an FAU resident student went to use the bathroom, he tripped and fell backwards on his head. The student was bleeding heavily from his head when campus police and EMT arrived.

All of a sudden, the student tried to fight the EMTs while they were treating his wounds. The student’s blood got on two of the officers’ skin, clothing and equipment while they tried restraining him. Turns out he was under the influence of an “unknown substance” and was transported to Delray Medical Center.

The student received a dean referral.

Lesson learned: Obviously, if this student was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, his hand-eye coordination would be off, causing instability. But fighting the people who are trying to help you is definitely going to blow your cover — especially if you’re doing something illegal.

Party Foul

August 20, 2011 — 10:17 p.m.

Location: Student Union, Foam Party

FAU police and Boca Raton Fire Rescue arrived to the Foam party after a drunk student threw up all over himself. He was conscious and breathing normally, but couldn’t keep his vomiting under control. He was taken to Boca Raton Regional Hospital.

The student received a dean referral. Not only was he drinking at a school sponsored event, but  he was also only 19.

Lesson to be learned: First off, if you’re not 21 and you’re drinking at a school event, don’t drink to the point of nearly blacking out. Not only is it unsafe, but that’s exactly how you get caught. Granted it’s inevitable that most college students drink, but it’s the ones who can’t handle their liquor that get caught, do something stupid and get the other students busted drinking, too.

Messy clean up

August 21, 2011 — 1:48 a.m.

Location: Innovation Village Apartments North

FAU police responded to a medical call because an underage student drank to the point of puking everything she ate that day.

She was found in front of her apartment door, locked out with puke lying all over the floor. Turns out she was at a party with her friends when she got sick, and left without getting her room key from her friend.

The student was advised to go the hospital, but she refused.

She was given a dean referral for underage drinking.

Lesson to be learned: Drinking can sometimes make you forgetful. Maybe if she didn’t forget to get her room key back, she wouldn’t have thrown up outside her door, leaving it up for the housing staff to clean up.

If it’s not one thing, it’s another

August 21, 2011 — 10:56 p.m.

Location: Innovation Village Apartment South

The smell of burning reefer caused FAU police to search the room of two resident students.

After going through their belongs, police came up empty-handed, finding no evidence of marijuana.

But they did find something else.

Both suspects had suspended driving licenses. Instead of getting busted for pot, they had their licenses confiscated and sent back to the state.

Lesson to be learned: First off, burning marijuana has a very distinctive smell that officers are trained to sniff out. You don’t even have to be a professional to know if someone is tokin’ one out. If these students were allegedly smoking pot in their room, it would have gotten someone’s attention (which it did).