Gimme Money! Think you can’t afford to study abroad? We’ll help you rethink that.


Student submitted photos


Illustration by Austin Greene
Illustration by Austin Greene

Based purely on my lack of funding, study abroad wasn’t something I planned on doing during college. It didn’t seem like anything I’d be able to do in the near future.

In 2012,  I received an email notifying me that I qualified for the William E. Greene study abroad scholarship. I checked out the website, realized I could actually fulfill the requirements (letters of recommendation, a couple of essays, etc.) and decided to go for it.

A few weeks after I submitted my paperwork, I received a phone call asking me to come in for the next part of the selection process: an interview by an eight-person panel, made up of members of the college and board members from the scholarship fund. Things were getting serious.

I was the scholarship recipient for the fall 2012 semester. I’m not sure what my reply was, other than thank you, but when I got off the phone I realized what I had to do next — go travel gear shopping.

My study abroad scholarship took something I thought was a long way off and allowed me to do it right now. But if I hadn’t received that email, I never would have known I had that chance.

The Gilman International Scholarship

About one in three applicants will receive financial aid from the Gilman Scholarship. The Gilman is a good program for undergraduates and students from diverse backgrounds. It’s meant to help build educational skills and help build job markets in fields that are underrepresented in the country.

What You Need to Apply

  • U.S. citizenship
  • Pell Grant recipient, either at the time of your application or during your time abroad
  • Your length of stay must be at least four weeks (most summer programs, the shortest programs, are six to eight weeks)
  • The program you apply to must offer credit at your U.S. school

You Should Really Apply If

  • You’re from a diverse ethnic background
  • You’d like to study in a non-traditional (read, non-European) country
  • You’re studying a field that’s underrepresented in education abroad

You Can Get Even More Money If

  • You’re studying a critical need language

You will automatically be considered for the Gilman Critical Need Language Award, bringing the total possible award up to $8,000.

Critical Need Languages Include

  • Arabic
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Russian
  • Swahili
  • Chinese languages
  • Bahasa Indonesia
  • Indic languages
  • Persian languages
  • Turkic languages


The Boren Awards

National Security Education Program

This scholarship is for those interested in a career path related to national security — and those who don’t mind studying in a few not-so-secure countries.

The Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are geared toward building foreign language and science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) related skills for use in national security services.

After graduation, Boren recipients are required to work in the federal government for at least one year in a position with national security responsibilities.

What You Need to Apply

  • U.S. citizenship
  • Undergraduate or graduate student
  • Your program of study should focus on the languages and cultures of Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America or the Middle East
  • Minimum stay is eight weeks for undergraduates, 12 weeks for graduates

*Preference is given to programs lasting six months or more and up to a maximum of two years

You Can Get Even More Money If

  • You stay longer — the longer the program the more funding you’re likely to receive:
  • $8,000  for eight week summer programs
  • $10,000 per semester
  • $20,000 for a full academic year


For the Scholarship, Feb. 4, 2015

Program start dates can be no earlier than June 1.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Scholarship Program

If you’re looking for a long stay in a foreign country and a steady job afterwards, this scholarship might be for you.

Fulbright is geared toward graduate students and young professionals. So it’s available to grads pursuing independent study. It’s also meant to help foster English language skills in other countries, so it’s available to those seeking English Teaching Assistantships.

The programs typically last from a year to two years, dates vary by country and program.

What You Need to Apply

  • U.S. citizenship
  • Be a graduate student or apply in the fall of your senior year

You Should Really Apply If

  • You’re interested in independent study or English Teaching Assistantships
  • You’re looking to go abroad for a year to two years


  • Campus Deadline September, annually
  • Final Deadline October, annually


contact [email protected] or 561-297-1039 for details

The office of International Programs will be hosting a Financial Aid Info Session on Tuesday, November 18, from 12 p.m. to 1p.m. in GS 209C.