Florida Atlantic University's first student-run news source.

UNIVERSITY PRESS

Florida Atlantic University's first student-run news source.

UNIVERSITY PRESS

Florida Atlantic University's first student-run news source.

UNIVERSITY PRESS

Prestige weighs

FEATURE

Oh, Homecoming — the sashes, the football game, the crown, the popularity contest? Try again. This year, FAU has remodeled the election process for the Homecoming Court, seeking to crown and reward the most school-spirited and ethical candidates.

While the application process remains the same, the addition of a second committee and a $500 prize to the selected King and Queen could potentially intensify competition this fall.

The revamping of the Court election process is an effort to emphasize the importance of character, prestige and leadership sought in the collegiate royalty.

“We are not changing the process because anything was unfair in the past. We are changing it so the title of Homecoming Court/King/Queen is more significant,” said Alicia Keating, assistant director of Student Involvement and Leadership.

There are two electoral committees this year. The first is the same as in years past, composed of one student from each of FAU’s seven campuses, two alumni, one faculty member and one staff member. Here, potential candidates are interviewed. Ten candidates are selected, and they become the Homecoming Court.

But this year’s big change is the addition of the second committee, which, through another interview, aims to dissipate some of the student vote and be more selective based on the merit of Court winners. This committee is made up of the university president, vice president for student affairs, associate vice president for student affairs, provost, student body president, and a student who will be chosen by the student body president.

The second committee’s elections will make up 60 percent of the final result, and the student body will make up the remaining 40 percent. The committees hope this will impose greater focus on ethical and leadership values.

“If you represent ethical leadership, the interview will weigh that in — [candidates] aren’t depending on fellow students,” said Homecoming Committee director Cody Kalina.

Since Boca has the most populated campus, some of its candidates might win more votes over partner campuses. This year’s restructuring will allow students from those other campuses a better opportunity to win.

“We were trying to outweigh some of the popularity,” said Kalina, explaining one reason for the reform.

Last year’s Homecoming King, 22-year-old Gui Pereira, offered his insight into the popularity question. “I feel that the Homecoming King and Queen shouldn’t be the two most popular people in the school, but the people that show the most dedication to the school and their education, and are a role model for others.”

So when you see the candidates advertising their faces on the Breezeway, you might remember high school with its hallway displays of “Vote for me.” Thus, while you reminisce on previous years, you might want to think carefully about which prestigious candidate deserves the crown, your vote and the $500.

 

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE ROYALTY?

These are the requirements students must have to apply for Homecoming Court:

• a minimum 2.8 GPA

• 60 successfully completed credits

• 500-word essay answering a specific question

• a resume outlining campus involvement

• a picture to be put on the website

 

Check out these other stories about Homecoming:

Homecoming Makeover

Hello, Madam President

Homecoming Schedule

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

Do you have something to say? Submit your comments below
All UNIVERSITY PRESS Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *